Dan and I are believers in if our kids ask a question, give an age appropriate response, no fluff or misleading. Since Riley’s preschool teacher is pregnant and due at the end of March, we have had to dabble a little bit in the baby issue. We merely explained the basics (babies grow in the mommy’s belly and when the baby is big enough a doctor helps take the baby out).
Fast forward a few weeks to swim lessons this past Wednesday. Matthew, the boy in Riley’s swim class, is 2.5 and only says a few single words. His mom is pregnant and due any day. Riley decided to strike up a conversation with her, this is how it went…
Riley: “You have a baby in your belly?”
Matthew’s Mommy: “Yes, it is a baby girl.”
Riley: “Oh. When I was a little, little baby, my daddy put something in my mommy’s belly and then I grew in her belly until I was bigger and Dr. Westfall took me out of my mommy’s belly.”
Matthew’s Mommy: “Wow, you speak very well for a your age!”
I was shocked! Although he is technically correct, Dan and I never said anything about Daddy’s involvement in the process and we have no clue how he came up with that! All I could do was laugh :)



0 comments:
Post a Comment